This week’s remnant project is a very small set of baby booties made from a small piece of fabric: I found a .5-yard piece of orange fleece and of course, some leftover cotton gator fabric (I guess I’m a one-trick pony when it comes to remnants lately, nearly always gator!)
This was another serger project (by Pamela Hastings) from the book Simple Serger Sewing. The blurb said “Line trendy cotton print [in other words, gator fabric] with fleece and finish with an overlock stitch…” Well, it could have been quick and easy. But, Sheila the serger didn’t stay for the finish. About halfway through, she started in with a horribly portentious clicking noise and some or all the threads came undone at every attempt. But I pressed on (idiot, but I tried everything to fix it). Next thing I knew there was only a stub of one needle and all the other threads wildly going everywhere. Sigh. With every pass, the cutter was working great. So the soles of the booties were getting smaller and less oval, but remained un-overlocked. I grabbed the 2nd one and went to the Ruby, and sewed using the designated overlock stitch I learned in class yesterday, and it went well. Great serge, no cutting. Which I should have attempted to do from the first, and now I know to do it next time.
So, I don’t know if I feel confident enough to give these to an actual baby, because they’re rather primitive. If I care to make another pair, the time spent isn’t much at all. But, it was a creative idea someone came up with!