This week’s remnant project springs from a deep desire to have a slip that fits.
I bought the remnant at least 8 years ago, along with a pattern for a slip, tap pants, bra, and robe. It is a buttery-soft 2-way stretch nylon tricot in a delicate shade of barely beige. Now that the time has come, I did not want to use a fussy old pattern, I wanted to do a “quick and dirty,” as my old drafting teacher used to say.
Problem: old slip rides up, so that in the middle of an event, one may end up with a bustle.
Having been around a 3-year old lately, I can appreciate the swiftness of his counteraction of a suggestion with a “NO!” as in this conversation [names have been changed]:
Mama: Stanley, if you don’t stop it you’re going to get a time-out!
3-year old Stanley: NO timeout!
I am swiftly saying “NO bustle!” with a quick and dirty remnant slip, cut loosely using the pattern of an existing slip that’s short.
I used clear elastic for the straps. I cut strips of the remnant fabric on the bias and serged them to the necklines and armholes, then folded the strips over and stitched them to the top edges as narrow facings. I sewed the hemline quick and dirty, with a narrow zig-zag, but if this slip rides up, I may experiment with more hem stitching to weigh it down.
That’s my postaweek2011 homemade lingerie remnant project for this week!