Part 3 of the swim set, the mesh cover-up.
Er, I didn’t use a remnant fabric here, but I did buy it from a fabric.com clearance-sale at a very cut-rate price a few years back. So it’s been waiting patiently in my stash (AKA the island of misfit fabrics) for rebirth as a project.
I got the idea for a cover-up from the Summer 2014 issue of Burdastyle US magazine. This article is a cross between two patterns I saw in that issue:and
As I wrote in the previous post, I deliberately added a blue contrast stretch fabric to the Jalie silver skirtini, because I knew I wanted to use this blue and white mesh, and I thought the silver, blue and white would look good together.
If you’ve done much sewing from Burdastyle magazines, you know that you’re going to have to start out tracing the pattern pieces from one or more of the inserts.
You may go ahead and skip the following rant if you want to.
Burdastyle, the UK edition, is issued every month. Included are inserts for ALL the patterns you see in the mag. I once subscribed to this edition, and I thought it was incredibly awesome, except for the huge cost, probably due to postage. Burdastyle, the US edition, just became available last year, and I was so excited! Until I discovered that only part of the patterns are included in the magazine. The others, you’re going to have to download, for a small fee each (about $5), from a web site, and print them off on your own printer, using your very own printer ink and paper—lots and lots of paper, that you have to tape together, and then trace the size you want. I looked on the web site’s forum and saw that some patrons were also complaining that some of the US magazine’s patterns are not brand new cutting edge fashions, they are re-hashes from prior magazines. Rip off!
So I see the “Catching Waves” cover-up and it looks cool, but I’ll need to download the pattern if I want to make it. Instead, I use the pattern for “Slam Dunk” which is included in the magazine, and is pretty similar. Wait a minute, is this whole scenario just a test to see if we are gullible enough to pay more money and use our own printers, when we could alter slightly the pattern we already paid for and have a similar finished product? Does this company think its American audience is stoopid?
Anyway, I ran into another snag: both patterns call for the notion “lycra binding,” in a 1.5 cm width. I was not able to find lycra binding in the local big-box sewing supply stores. I could barely find it online, finally locating some (20 mm wide) at the UK site MinervaCrafts. But did I really want to fork over the equivalent of about $30 for a couple of meters of it, and wait several weeks for it to arrive in the mailbox? No, so I instead bought some Dritz 5/8″ fold-over elastic at JoAnn’s. It looks pretty good. I used almost all of three 1-yard packages at $2.99 apiece. Shockingly expensive, for me! I may break down and order some lycra binding tape from a Ft. Lauderdale Etsy shop, wildnsweet. But it costs $4.50/yd from that site, not including shipping and handling. 😦
One good thing: I used my serger to cover-stitch the hem and it didn’t screw up at all! That’s a first!
And I should tell you that I use a designated “stretch” needle for sewing lycra/spandex fabrics, and I don’t have any trouble with skipping, like I have with other types of needles. I like to start in the middle of the seam, then sew to the end, then turn the piece around and start at the middle and go to the other end. This bypasses the machine’s tendency to mash the beginning part of the seam down into the throat plate. I’ve seen other sewists allow for this by inserting a little square of fabric to start sewing before the seam, and then cutting off the sewn-on square.
Happy National Sewing Month!