DH tackled an item that’s been on his “honey-do” list for a while, part of our Arts and Crafts bathroom renovation.
We got a new shower door, put up some wainscoting and painted the upper walls gray to sort-of match the formica cabinet and the fixtures. It used to be lavender and blue, with a sailing sort of a theme. We figured since lots of other parts of the house are Craftsman-style, we’d gravitate toward that decor for the guest bathroom as well.
Here’s the ugly mirror with its peeling-from-the-underside edges:
DH had the brilliant idea of assembling a frame to go around the mirror and hide that shabby peeling edge.
He used a pine-cone tile [one we’d bought a long time ago, thinking to use for something, but nothing came up until now] for a center piece for the upper frame. He added ebony plugs at the corners of the frame pieces.
He added a cloud lift to each upper corner:
It wasn’t truly a simple project, because the wood he used was very spring-y so it was hard to glue the frame in place; the middle would bow up while the ends were being pushed down and vice versa. He tried several types of epoxy and Tite-bond II. Clamps wouldn’t fit in this scenario. We spent some quality time together in meaningful conversation while mashing the frame onto the glass with our out-stretched palms until the 5-minute set-up time was accomplished. He had to cut, sand, and varnish the wood, then he added the ebony plugs, and cut, sanded, varnished, and added the cloud lifts, so that was a lot of embellishing to the simple frame. Once completed, though, the frame added a whole new level of style to the room.
The idea that he had installed some cloud lifts to the frame, with nothing for them to lift, weighed heavily on DH’s conscience. He had to add an additional feature to the frame –two ledges or small shelves or lengths of frame just above the cloud lifts so the lifts didn’t look just stuck on, they would be performing their function of lifting. I think it looks even better. And he feels better about the whole project.