Sigh, if you read my fb posts earlier, you know that I had to take the Ruby to the sewing machine hospital this morning. I tried everything, but I COULD NOT keep Ruby from sewing great loops on the back of every line of stitching. I have only had Ruby since September. I luuuurrrrrve my Ruby, but she done me wrong. Or, perhaps I done her wrong. I’m just a human, and everyone knows when it comes to machines malfunctioning, usually it’s down to operator error. Heart-sick, I wandered aimlessly through the house, tired because I was up all night wondering, “what could I have done?” I had to explain to the engineer spouse just what the malfunction was, how the mechanism operates to the best of my knowledge, and go over the suggestions made by everyone. One of his suggestions, to go over the thread-path with dental floss, was actually not far-fetched: a well-known machine embroidery blogger also had posted that to a reader who had a similar problem. However, it didn’t work when I tried it early this morning.
Bunny (I still want to call her Becky) was sympathetic. She hated to tell me that the waiting time for fix-its is a standard 2 weeks. She knew by the speed at which my face fell, how much sewing and embroidery I must have planned to get done in the next 2 weeks leading up to Christmas. Sigh.
Back home, I tentatively turned the switch on Sheila the serger. I have not been able to get the Sheila to work since I have lived here. Its four thread paths daunted at every attempt. Lo and behold, I was able to thread them all. I put in a swatch and serged. Since I was apparently on a roll, I got out Quick and Easy Sewing with your Serger by Becky Hansen, and picked the first project that my machine could accomplish, the T-shirt Shrug on p. 45.
I had an oversize long sleeve t-shirt. It was new; I think I bought it at Beall’s outlet for a few bucks.
large t-shirt before
And I had purchased some 100% cotton rib knit from fabric.com, in the eye-numbing shade of pink called “Bubblegum.”
Seriously, I had no idea how easy and fast this project was going to be.
No pattern, just a great narrative and pictures in the book.
I measured and cut the shirt and the strips of ribbing, then serged them together. In MOMENTS it was done.
The most time-consuming part was sewing on the snaps and the giant buttons on the outside of the snaps. I just happened to have 2 giant buttons that I tore off a poster Connie Hackworth had made years ago for a Relief Society activity. She had embellished it with lots of bright-colored buttons and trim, and rather than throw out those cute notions after the event was over, I squirreled them away. I mean, dumpster diving can be a fun activity, but I’m getting older and I need to dumpster-dive smarter; grab the stuff BEFORE it goes into the trash.
cut-up shirt and project instructions
I also found an iron-on shiny satiny heart that had some of the same pink color within, culled from the clearance bin at JoAnn’s for 97 cents, so I ironed that on. I think the finished product looks a little bit like something the whos down in Who-ville might wear for their Christmas roast-beast feast, but I do kind of like it a lot. I think it would fit better on a bustier model than I am.
Welcome, welcome, Yahoo Borayz!
It is warm over a shirt, but not too warm, because it’s made from thin t-shirt jersey. And it didn’t take all day to make.
Best of all, I got Sheila to work. Serging is so terrific. I can’t wait to find another quick project to serge. I don’t want to say it’s a good thing about Ruby—